Wednesday, May 9, 2007

The Full-osophy of taxi-driving



I met Manel outside the Tourism Fair in Barcelona. I had spent a few hours snooping stands and had tons of brochures and leaflets with me, together with my purse and my laptop bag. There was no question I needed a taxi to take me to the train station, even though I needed a quick stop first at the office, to pick up a CD that had been sent to me to finalize a proposal for a project.

I hailed a taxi and there it was Manel, smiling at me. I gave him directions and started searching into my bags. He broke the silence, a friendly guy I thought. Usually, if others don’t, I try to avoid “weather chit-chat”; but he sounded nice.

Going up to Mandri Road from Plaça Espanya and then down again to Passeig de Gràcia in rush hour is a long ride .. so we established this line based on things he learnt driving a cab. I have had a first inside reading “Brooking Follies” (Paul Auster), when Nathan – the pro- tells us about his own experience as a taxi driver in New York. But this sounded more real to me.

Manel explained to me he runs the business together with his wife – who by the way used to be a software tech before she gave it up to live a more comfortable life –. She does the morning shift; he does the longer one in the afternoon-eve. They can organize their time as they like, and even decide one day they gather the family – they cropped two kids – and go spend the day on the beach.

- “It’s such a good life, you know” – Manel said. “If you work hard, a one person can make up to 4,000€ or more a month.

No kidding my eyes went wide open with astonishment. And he went on ..

- “ some people think it is very stressing to drive on and on in the city, traffic jams, nervous drivers blowing the horn, accidents and long waits in the traffic lights. But I take none of that. I just drive and enjoy it, no rush. I like talking to friendly people and – you know, I learn so much from them. I have this my own philosophy, just live and let others live, take it easy. There’s no way I give up my job, it’s such a good life me and my family have”

I made a few nods and short remarks, and he went on speaking his mind …

- “Just the other day I was giving a ride to this guy from the airport. He looked all stressed out. Dark suit, tight tie, big suitcase and that pale complexion from not seeing much of the day light. He explained to me he was chief manager for I can’t remember what computers firm. He said he travels all the time, weird hours, can’t see of his family and his cell will never sleep. I told him about me driving this cab, same stuff I just told you. And you know what?, he ended up confessing how much money he makes. Holly-cows!! I make more money letting my butt sit in this car and enjoying the fact that I have no responsibility …”

We made it to Passeig de Gràcia just then and I had to rush to catch a train back home.

I paid the ride, said goodbye and left the car wondering whether I shouldn’t consider driving a cab myself …

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh Mun, you always have such great perspectives on life balance! OK, I'm going to make a commitment to try to sit on my butt for at least a little while and chat with strangers and watch the world go by :) xoxoxo sharonnnna